Dr. Antoni Bayés Genís
Chair of iCor
Head of the Cardiology Department
Full Professor. Medicine. UAB
-PhD in Medicine. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1998
-Cardiology specialty. Ministerio de Educación y Cultura, 1998
-Degree in Medicine. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 1992
- Chair of the Germans Trias Heart Institute (iCor)
- Director of the Cardiology Department, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona.
- Director of the ICREC (Heart Failure and Cardiac Regeneration) Research Program.
- Professor of Cardiology, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
- Vice Dean for Students and Mobility Programs, Faculty of Medicine, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Dr. Antoni Bayes-Genis is chair of the Germans Trias Heart Institute (iCor), Director of the Cardiology Department at Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol (Badalona, Spain), Director of the ICREC (Heart Failure and Cardiac Regeneration) Research Program and Full Professor at Autonomous University of Barcelona. He has published over 4000 SCI papers with more than 10.500 citations. He has contributed to over 600 national and international conferences in oral format. He is inventor of 9 international patents, Director/Co-director of 13 PhD Thesis and has established several collaboration agreements with biotechnological companies.
His research is focussed in two main areas, one more clinical and another basic-translational. From the clinical stand-point he is interested in novel biomakers for diagnosis and prognosis in heart failure and sudden death as well as telemedicine. At the basic-translational level he is interested in mesenchymal stem cells (adipose tissue-derived, circulating progenitors and umbilical cord-derived) and cardiac tissue engineering to salvage and restore injured myocardium.
The ICREC group is also involved in tissue engineering projects on biocompatible polymers to develop bioactive structures with biomedical applications.
1- Development of a new interventional technique to rescue myocardium after a heart attack.
He has recently demonstrated that biological tissue engineering restores cardiac function in acute and chronic animal model infarcts (Cardiovasc Res. 2011; Int J Cardiol 2011). In the same way, our group have published the first clinical study results in which were analyzed the safety and efficacy of this new procedure in patients with chronic myocardial infarction to coronary revascularization surgery (EBioMedicine 2016).
2- Identification, characterization, electrical conditioning and myocardial implementation of a new source of stem cells from human epicardial fat
(J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2015; Biomed Res Int 2015; JMCC 2010). (ES23257-B1). Our group has also studied the cardiac potential and properties of other myocardial stem cells sources such as umbilical cord blood, subcutaneous adipose tissue and bone marrow (Stem Cells Transl Med 2015; Eur J Clin Invest 2014; Stem Cells Dev 2014; Int J Cardiol 2013; PLoSONE 2012; J Card Fail 2010; Basic Res Cardiol 2010; Eur J Heart Fail 2006; Transplant Proc 005).
3- Development and application of natural and synthetic matrices for cardiac tissue engineering
(Tissue Eng Part C Methods 2016;J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2016; Stem Cell Res Ther 2015; Stem Cell Res Ther 2015; Am J Transl Res 2015; Am J Transl Res 2014; Int J Cardiol. 2014).
4- Study of the molecular/celular bases and new biomarkers/treatments for idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy
(J Cardiovasc Transl Res 2016; Int J Cardiol 2014 Dec 20; Int J Cardiol 2014 Oct 20; Atherosclerosis 2013; Nat Rev Cardiol. 2009; Eur J Heart Fail. 2007).
5- Molecular analysis of the effect of hipoxia on cardiac and vascular remodeling
(J Mol Cell Cardiol 2015; Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2013).
6- Development of elastin stent to reduce the risk of restenosis
(Development 2003; Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2003). This research was the first to use bioactive stents, widely used in clinical practice today.
7- Human heart chimerism.
Pioneers in 2002 to identify the human heart auto-regenerative capacity and the presence of cardiac microchimerism. A summary of the contributions was published, requested by the editor in the scientific journal Nature Clinical Practice CV Medicine (Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2007; J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005; Eur J Heart Fail. 2004; Cardiovasc Res. 2002).
8- Identification of a new biomarker PAPP-A for an early detection of unstable angina and myocardial infarction.
This investigation was published in the journal N Engl J Med (NEJM 2001; 345:1022-9) and generates a patent (US8323913-B2).
9- Characterization of the clinical use of natriuretic peptides for diagnosis, prognosis and monitoring in heart failure.
Data generated are now included in clinical guidelines.
Last PhD theses directed:
- PhD Jordi Farré (Cum Laude, Dec 2009)
- PhD Paloma Gastelurrutia (Cum Laude, Jul 2011)
- PhD Carolina Gálvez (Cum Laude, Jun 2012)
- PhD Marta de Antonio (Dec 2014)
- PhD Aida Llucià (Cum Laude, Jan 2016)
- PhD Isaac Perea Gil (Cum Laude, Sep 2017)
Other scientific achievements
-Editor of the Revista Española de Cardiología
- Member of the Reial Acadèmia de Medicina de Catalunya
- Deserving of aid to the “Línea de Intensificación de la Investigación por parte del Instituto de Salud Carlos III: 2006, 2007, 2010 “
- Dr. Josep Font Mutual Médica Award” for the best research article of 2010
- Research Accreditation 2004 by the Commission for Research in the field of Medical Sciences and Health Care Agency for Quality in the University System of Catalonia.
- Research Project reviewer of the Ministerio de Sanidad (FIS), and ANEP, and from the “Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale” (França).
- Journal reviewer: Circulation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, European Heart Journal, Cardiovascular Research, European Journal of Heart Failure, Atherosclerosis, American Journal of Cardiology, Rejuvenation Research, Revista Española de Cardiología.
- Member of the editorial board of Clinical Cardiology (edició espanyola) and from Revista Española de Cardiología.
- Member of the “International Scientific Advisory Board of the 1st International Congress of Cardiomyopathies and Heart Failure, March 10-13, 2007, Kyoto, Japan”
- Member of the experts group “Pla d’Atenció en Insuficiència Cardíaca a Catalunya” “Pla Director de Malalties Cardiovasculars de la Generalitat de Catalunya”. 2006-2007.
- Member of the scientific societies:
- Sociedad Catalana de Cardiología
- Sociedad Española de Cardiología
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC)
See a listing of publications on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
See a description of research: